About Jabari Jumps
Jabari Jumps is one of our favorite new picture books this summer. It’s a sweet story that’s universal to all kids—the first time you climb up to the top of the high dive and have to decide…to jump or not to jump? Jabari arrives at the pool with his dad and his sister and promptly declares that today is the day. Or at least he thinks so. Maybe. Or maybe not. While he decides, he does his stretches, plans his approach, and discusses his ideas with his dad. Will he jump? Kids of all ages will relate to Jabari’s fear, excitement and indecision as he goes through this common childhood rite of passage. Jabari Jumps was published by Candlewick Press.
About Gaia Cornwall
Gaia Cornwall is an illustrator who loves making patterns for surface design, illustrating for children, and writing picture books. After graduating from Pratt Institute, she worked on a variety of projects—including producing a film festival, animating cartoons for network television and film, and working on a documentary–that gradually led her back to one of her first loves: illustration.
She is currently working on several picture books, a middle grade novel, various surface design collections, and making websites for writers.
Books we discussed
Here are the books we discussed on this episode, and a few more that Gaia recommends for families who love Jabari Jumps.
We have been on hiatus with the podcast this month while we explored new ideas and collected feedback from listeners. We asked you to respond to a short survey to learn more about what you liked about the podcast and what you would change. Here’s what you told us:
- The majority of people who responded listen frequently
- Half of respondents listen with their kids, while about 43 percent are adults who listen alone. A small number of kids listen independently.
- 72 percent of people listen for the interviews with authors
- 57 percent of people listen to hear new children’s books read aloud
- 57 percent of people listen to hear kids leading a podcast
- Half of people prefer to hear an entire children’s book read aloud at the beginning of the podcast; 36 percent of people only want to hear an excerpt of the book. For the remainder of people, it depends on the book.
- 57 percent of people prefer a podcast that is 20–30 minutes in length. The remaining 43 percent prefer 10-20 minutes.
- Your favorite episodes:
- Episode 1: Diane Tran discussing Linh and the Red Envelope
- Episode 14: J.J. Austrian discussing Worm Loves Worm
- Episode 28: Megan Maynor discussing Ella and Penguin
- Episode 31: Sherri Rinker discussing Mighty, Mighty Construction Site
- Episode 32: Tracy Maurer discussing John Deere, That’s Who!
- Episode 33: Cynthia Levinson discussing the Youngest Marcher
- Most people would like us to continue publishing new episodes every other week.
There was no clear direction on what other content people would value. There were relatively equal votes for ideas such as: activities to complement the books, recommendations for other books readers might like, or interviews with other people in the book world.
Thanks for your help planning the future of the podcast. Congratulations to Abe, who won a copy of My Reading Adventures for filling out the survey (check your email for instructions from us)! We plan to start publishing new episodes again in July 2017. Until then, you can listen to old episodes at http://www.luandbeanread.com/podcasting/.
Episode 34 of the Lu and Bean Read podcast features author Deborah Blumenthal and her picture book Fancy Party Gowns.
Deborah Blumenthal is an award-winning journalist and nutritionist who now divides her time between writing children’s books and adult novels. She has been a regular contributor to The New York Times (including four years as the Sunday New York Times Magazine beauty columnist), and a home design columnist for Long Island Newsday. Her health, fitness, beauty, travel, and feature stories have appeared widely in many other newspapers and national magazines including New York’s Daily News, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, Bazaar, Cosmopolitan, Woman’s Day, Family Circle, Self, and Vogue. (Oh, and the Lu and Bean Read Podcast. Ahem.)
Deborah’s latest picture book Fancy Party Gowns is the stunningly beautiful biography of fashion designer Ann Cole Lowe. Among her many accomplishments, Ms. Lowe designed the wedding dress worn by Jacqueline Kennedy–but almost no one knew her name. Isn’t it beautiful (image thanks to InStyle).
Lu and Bean selected this book for the podcast because they were so intrigued by the challenges Ann overcame, the famous women she designed for, and the many ways she “thought about what she could do, not about what she couldn’t change.”